In the pipeline - DIY Plumbing Tip #34 - DRAIN BLOCKAGES - Brighton, Bentleigh, St Kilda
July 10 2015
Why does your drain block up?
There are many reasons that your drain could block up. The main reasons your blocked drains can block up vary, but below are some to keep in mind so you know what to avoid:
- The drain has been effected by tree roots (as tree roots look for water and can damage sewer lines under the ground)
- Fat, oil and grease that goes down our drains rather than in the rubbish can solidify in the drain pipes, gradually causing blockages.
- People placing things down the toilet that should not be flushed down a toilet.
- Collapsed pipework. This can happen over time, due to the ground moving or if the pipework is not supported sufficiently underground and then it can drop away. (Also, if this occurs, tree roots can more easily enter the collapsed pipework), causing blockages in your drainage.
- Plumbing services can use special CCTV Drain camera’s to check your drainage pipes, so you can see what is causing the problem and where it is in your pipes.
Said now you know what causes drains to block you can be proactive and use simple strategies to decrease the chance of drain blockages occurring.
If you need to call a professional call webbplumbing services on 1300 238 993 for all drain blockages and preventative drainage strategies.
Webbplumbing services can assist you whether you live in Broadmeadows, Brighton, Bonbeach or Balaclava.